Chase Your Dreams

Chase Your Dreams

Monday 18 January 2016

"In The Zone"



As I get closer day by day to the start line of the Rottnest Channel Swim, my training partner and I have put the accelerator down and are starting to push more kilometers into the tank to get ready for the biggest swim I have ever done. So over the last twelve or so months I have had good days and not so good days. I have had days of powering through the water and days when I feel like a brick swimming through mud. Its been an amazing journey so far, on getting my swimming technique right, pacing a lot better and strength and endurance to be all balanced.

Since last Thursday I am on a nine day swimming program where I swim everyday and twice on Mondays. This is a program I have put together for myself and my training partner. Its a tough ask on the body and mind, but all part of the training that is needed. If I can sustain good form and pace through out the nine days straight of swimming, I know in my heart making the 20 kilometers to Rottnest Island for Cottesloe Beach will be well with in my reach and in a good time as well.

So yesterday saw myself and training partner in Bunbury swimming five kilometers with my paddler that will be with me on the Rottnest swim. I thought initially heading out that I would find a good rhythm and stick to it and as close to the kayak that was comfortable. Well after the first set (1.8km) I was sitting one about 2:01/100m which was great. I was feeling good, and comfortable in the water. We had a gel got settled and went back out for another 1.8km. Again was still feeling good and strong, felt technique was good pulling through the water and siting was all good as well for my paddler. So after another very quick rest it was back out for the last 1.8km. This is where you know you are a little sore in the right places and feeling a little tired, and you know your mind takes over and the body stays with the mind...oh yes the feeling of being "In The Zone".

After a good night sleep it was time to rise and head for the local pool again for another session, but today would see us doing a two kilometer session in the morning as a recovery from yesterday and stretching out anything that was sore and tight. Then in the afternoon a second swim of three kilometers was on the cards. The three kilometer session is one of my favourites with it being done in two parts. Both 1500 meter intervals. Between them the rest period is fairly short, as it will be in the actual swim.

There were a couple of issues with people and and lanes tonight, but managed to sort them out, with some frustration, and break in the rhythm of my swim, so after changing lanes and settling back into it I was was off again. Here is the interesting part, this "In The Zone" feeling was back, I could feel parts of my back and arms aching a little due to tiredness but was still feeling strong. I just hope that this stays with me over the next few weeks and that I don't hit the mark to early and end up being to tired and over trained by the start of the Rottnest Channel Swim on the 27th February.

 So it is back into the pool again tomorrow morning, Wednesday morning and Thursday morning, with Friday being a well needed rest day, before we start all over again, but for only six days not nine.

Determination gets you everywhere you want to go!

Have a great week...
Hayley xx

No comments:

Post a Comment